Sunday, December 18, 2011

Just Ask; ---- Guest Blogger: John J Murray


Today's Tip – Just Ask;
Guest Blogger: John J Murray (Comedian / Actor / Producer) www.SomethingPlanet.com

I was asked this week to write a blog about my experience in whatever field I am knowledgeable in. That made me realize that I am not very knowledgeable in many of the fields that I work in (or try to work in). I do standup comedy, act, and produce and host a weekly podcast. Now I’m not saying that I do these things poorly, but I realize that I still have a shitload more to learn in each of those areas before I will feel comfortable giving advice about them.

That’s when I discovered that the number one thing that I’m good at is learning how to do shit. The piece of advice that I rarely hear anyone tell anyone else is “ask questions and ask for things”. Now I know asking for things that you want or want to know may make you feel vulnerable, stupid, or less like a professional. As far as I know it is no one’s job to tell you what you’re doing wrong or how to succeed in the area that you want to work. So you don’t know anything. Big fucking deal, ask and then you will know something.

There has been too many times when I’ve seen a comic tripping over tables lost because he didn’t ask someone the best and quickest way to walk to the stage. Don’t wait for a club manager to recognize your talent and ask you to get on their stage. Be the guy that finds the manager after the show and ask him what you have to do to work in his club. If you’re a writer, write something and ask another writer how you can be better. If you’re asked to do a clean set make sure you found out what that club considers clean material. Sometimes it’s something simple like don’t say fuck or cunt, other times it’s more complicated and you’re not allowed to talk about any of your body parts.

The point is just ask and then you will know. Of course you might become known as the douche bag that asks to many questions, but let’s be honest if someone gets mad at you for asking for something, then they probably didn’t like you very much in the first place.

www.ByTheBloodOfTheRoseProductions.com
www.Facebook.com/BBRProductions
www.Twitter.com/BBRPro
www.BBRoseProductions.wordpress.com
www.BBRProductions.tumblr.com
www.BBRProductions.blogspot.com

www.MakeARightLeftHere.com
www.Facebook.com/Altayon
www.Facebook.com/MARLHTV
www.Facebook.com/ComeChaseTheMusic
www.Facebook.com/Martyrd
www.Facebook.com/Outiside.Perception
www.Facebook.com/MrThomasJBellezza
www.twitter.com/ThomasJBellezz
www.SomethingPlanet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment